Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Smash

I had a '74 Jeep CJ5 that needed a main bearing in the transmission. The Jeep was in the shop, and I had no other form of transportation. The shop could not locate a bearing. I found one in Waterford, which was quite a trip from Pinckney, where I lived, and a long way from the Ann Arbor shop where my Jeep was. A friend of mine picked me up and drove me to the parts store to get the bearing. We stopped at a gas station on M-59 on the way there. As we were leaving, we were in line behind a woman in a small car. Traffic was mildly heavy, so we had to wait some time to pull out onto M-59. There was a break in traffic large enough for the woman ahead of us to pull out, and she began to do so. Casey and I both looked left to watch traffic for the next break, and he began to slowly roll forward to the end of the driveway. I glanced back and realized the the woman in front decided not to take the opportunity to go. We weren't more than 18 inches from her rear bumper. All I could think of to say was "SMASH!!" fairly loudly. Casey slammed on his brakes before he completely turned his head forward. We couldn't have missed hitting this woman by more than a couple inches. He then looked at me and we both started laughing hysterically...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that story!!!

_littlest sis_