Monday, November 3, 2008

End of Day One

9:30 p.m.
Today has been fairly productive, and relaxing at the same time. After breakfast, I fired up the chain saw and spent an hour cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood. Then I backed the tractor out of the trailer and proceeded to make some adjustments to the carburetor. I managed to get it to run fairly reasonably, but only as long as the choke is on. The second I open the choke, it quits. I suspect I'll have some work to do to the carb when I get it back home. It ran well enough to pull a couple 4 or 5 inch trees back, and a 24 foot long section of a tree, in three separate pieces. The sectioned one was 12-14 inches in diameter at the thickest part. It's not even the whole limb. It broke off roughly 15 feet above the ground. That's incredible, considering it is red oak. That's seriously strong wood. It's also very heavy. No wonder I had to cut it into three pieces to drag it back to camp. Then I cut up all the little stuff and stacked it, and cut two of the three logs, and split and stacked that as well. In between times, I warmed up and ate a quart of Tiffany's potato soup, had a couple cold Coronas, and relaxed by the fire. I also went for a short walk to the back of the property. Tomorrow I'll cut and split the third log, and see if I can't retrieve some of the other wood that is partially cut in the woods. After finally having enough of the firewood, I lowered and folded both flags, and sat down with Dean Koontz's latest book, and have read half of it. Hopefully I'll sleep a little better tonight than last night. The first night away from my bed is always rough. The second is usually better, though the coyotes howl awful loud around here, and they seem to be louder when I'm alone. They woke me up a couple times last night. Anyway, I have a belly full of chicken pot pie, I've found the bottom of a Corona, and I'm tired from the physical work today. I'm going to set the coffee pot, brush my teeth, and hit the sack.


Carry on

No comments: