Monday, November 3, 2008

Cold Shower

A couple years ago, I took Savanna up to Looney Loop for our annual family get together. It was an interesting trip. Usually, it's nice and crisp in the morning, and you have to sit by the fire for a bit to warm up, and the afternoons are rarely warm enough to wear less than a sweatshirt over long johns. This year was very warm. I spent a day wandering around in just jeans and tennis shoes. I put a t-shirt and my game vest on to go for a walk. 100 yards down the trail, I had sweat rolling down my back, and my face was flushed. It was miserable. Savanna was suffering, too. She was loud, cranky, and obnoxious. She wouldn't listen to a word I said. It was pretty clear that she was overheated. I grabbed her by the arm and told her to go get some clean clothes, and I set up a shower for her with water that I hadn't bothered to heat over the fire. It was fairly cold, around 60 degrees or so, I'd guess. She didn't like it one little bit. She even cried a little. I told her that she would feel much better afterward. She finished, dried off and got dressed and lo and behold, she was much more herself. Her mood improved 100%, she was smiley and happy. I made sure to remind her of the shower, and asked her if she felt better. She said yes, and didn't misbehave the rest of the day, or the week, for that matter. I'm fairly sure it was the cooling effect that made an immediate difference, and I'm also fairly sure that she didn't want another cold shower! After taking care of her, I went and had a cold shower of my own. It definitely made my day. I hope the next looney loop trip is a little cooler.


Carry on

No comments: