Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dryer Woes

I finally took my dryer apart today to see if I can fix it, instead of replace it. It's been making an awful racket for quite a while. It sounded like the same thing I replaced when I got the dryer, a tension pulley made of plastic. I looked inside while it was running, and determined that the pulley is still good. I could see nothing else wrong. I was finally able to identify the source of all the racket. It was coming from the squirrel cage under the drum. At that point, I quit using the dryer and started hanging my clothes in the basement to dry. They dry, but they take for friggin ever, and they are stiff as hell. Today I took the cover off the blower assembly and removed the squirrel cage. The center of it is all wobbled out. It won't even turn on the spindle, as one side is supposed to be flat. I found a replacement for under 20 bucks shipped to my door. It will ship tomorrow, and hopefully arrive before the holiday weekend. Until it arrives, though, I think I can re-install it with a shim in order to make it work temporarily. Putting on jeans that hang dry in a basement is like putting on boots that are thinly coated with concrete. It sucks ass. More specifically, it chafes ass...

No comments: