Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mio, take two

I left for Mio last Thursday. It was a rough day. I had had a rotten conversation with Tiffany the night before, woke up to find that my phone had been shut off, and my day just went to hell from there. I drove all the way to West Bloomfield to get a check, drove from there to Fenton to meet a builder for another check. He was not there. I went to the store briefly, then returned to the job to meet him. This time he was there. I then went to two different banks, then drove out to find Tiffany. We had a slightly less bogus conversation. At this point, I am severely pissed, and want nothing more than to be far away from civilization. I went home, threw a tub of clothes and supplies into the car, and split. When I arrived in Mio a couple hours later, I realized that I had not called Steve to let him know I was driving separately, I had forgotten my black Carhartt coveralls, gloves, warm boots, my percolator, my compass AND gps, and a slew of other things. Steve decided to wait to drive up in the morning, since he did not know I was already gone. That meant I spent the first night up there alone. Anyone who knows me knows that that is absolutely not a problem. I started a fire outside, had a couple beers, and hit the sack. Friday around mid-day, Steve and Justice showed up, then later that night Stephanie arrived. Saturday morning we all went out into the woods for opening day. I saw squat. Stephanie saw squat. Steve saw several deer, but didn't have a shot. That night brought more of the same for Stephanie and I, and Steve saw another deer, I think. I didn't hunt Sunday morning, I just wasn't in the mood. Steve ended up shooting his 3 point around 10:30. Stephanie once again saw nothing. Sunday night and Monday morning, I saw a total of 7 deer, shot at two, and missed both. I managed to blow the shit out of a tree between me and the second deer, though. It was running. The deer, that is. That tree just happened to get in the way at the exact second I pulled the trigger. Nevermind that the shot was about as low as the first miss. I don't know if it's me or the gun. I suspect it's me. I brought the gun home to take to the range to find out, though. I didn't want to leave. It costs me less money to live up there than it does down here. It's much more peaceful up there, more quiet. The people are fewer and more friendly. It's not the city. One day, I'm going to find a piece of property and build a small cabin like that one. Heat it with a little wood burning stove. Hand pump outside for water, the whole nine yards. Life at it's simplest. Cheap, easy, and isolated. I suspect that I won't have the company I've been waiting for for the last couple years, anyway.

No comments: