Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cars Have a Sense of Humor

Jim's mom used to have a mid 80's Honda something or other that had front end problems. Specifically, it had a bad lower ball joint on the driver's side. Jim pulled the car into the garage to repair it. We took the tire off, and all the pertinent parts, in order to get to the lower control arm. We removed the nut from the top of the ball joint and proceeded beat the hell out of the control arm with a two pound steel hammer in order to free it. Jim and I took turns for an hour or two trying to separate the joint. It proved to be much more stubborn than both of us combined. That is pretty substantial. We both decided to take a break and go have a sandwich. Jim went down the stairs toward the basement first, and I followed. He was almost to the bottom of the 6 or7 steps, and I had just stepped down, when I heard a suspicious metallic "clink" behind me. I turned to see that the joint had separated, and that end of the control arm laying on the floor. Apparently, sir Honda decided that we had suffered long enough.

Carry On

No comments: