Saturday, October 25, 2008

Patriotism

This blog was originally posted on myspace, May 22, 2008



A week or so ago, I finally managed to put up my flagpole, and started flying my flag. It feels good to have the symbol of this great country flying in my own front yard, to have the responsibility of taking proper care of it, and to display it proudly to all those who care to look. Savanna has asked me several times when we were going to have our own pole. I am very proud to have raised someone to be interested in pride in our nation. I have taught her to stand at attention with her hand over her heart at the beginning of each Red Wings game we watch together when they play the National Anthem. We even stood at attention at Dad's lake property one fishing day while we listened to the Star Spangled Banner broadcast before the game we were listening to on the radio. First I stood, then Savanna, then Dillon and Alexis, and finally, Phil. A nearby neighbor had a large flag flying over his front yard. We all faced it until the very last note. I was asked a few days ago, by two different people if I stand at attention during each broadcast before the games, while I am at home alone. I proudly answered "yes". To quote, I said "damn right". This is something that has been taught to me to a point. In school each morning, the class would stand and recite The Pledge Of Allegiance. Before swim meets we would say The Lord's Prayer, then stand at attention for the playing of The Star Spangled Banner after the teams entered the pool area.It is a sign of respect. A demonstration of pride in your nation. It makes me angry and sad to see people talking and clowning around while the anthem plays. Precious few people take the time to be quiet and pay their respect, and that quietness is disturbed and interrupted by others demontrations of uncaring disrespect. Did you know that it is actually United States Code that all persons in attendence except those in uniform are to stand quietly with hands over hearts or hats over left shoulders until the last note? Those in uniform are to face the Flag and salute from the first note until the last. Guess how many times I have stood alone in my living room this season for the anthem? Twice. Once during Gordie Howe's birthday celebration, and once during a game broadcast over CBC. That's a Canadian tv station. Versus does not broadcast it. Versus is also Canadian. Neither does Fox Sports Net. Why does a Canadian station broadcast it, but our own network neglect to? Something is very wrong with this country. Their is precious little respect left. Everyone is out for themselves, no matter the consquence to a fellow American. Those who choose to come into our country don't have any for us, either. Why should they? We don't show any for ourselves! Respect has to start somewhere. Why not with the National Anthem? Teach a person to shut up during the song, and pay their respect, and observe others doing the same thing. That would build pride in the country as well. It's as good a place as any to start. I've written a letter to Fox Sports, I encourage you to do the same. They have put a price on pride and patriotism, and chosen to use that minute of time to put a little more cash in their pockets. That is a disgrace. If you feel the same, please write your own letters, and teach your kids what pride and respect are supposed to be. I had the seed planted young, and it grew into a fierce pride for my country, and I have passed it on, planted the seed for my daughter. I hope you do the same.

No comments: