Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hot Peppers

I am waiting for the timer to tell me when I can turn the burner under my pressure canner off. I made a large batch of gumbo today. Part of the ingredients list is three jalapeno peppers. During a conversation with one of my little sisters, we started talking about hot peppers, and it reminded me of a story... Some time back, lets say, about 18 years ago, my best friends' family let me move into their basement for a short time, since I was basically homeless. I went to Meijer to do some grocery shopping, and saw some habanero peppers. I was on a big pizza kick, and I liked the hot pepper topping you could get to put on top of it. Those habaneros would make some serious pizza topping. I bought 4 or 5 of them, took them back to Jim's house, and proceeded to chop them up, seeds and all. Afterward, I put them on a tray of some sort, and placed them in the toaster oven in the kitchen. It did a fine job of drying the peppers, and later it was a fantastic topping for my pizza. That evening before I went to bed, I washed my hands, took my contacts out, brushed my teeth... you know the drill. The next morning I put my right contact in, and it was uncomfortable. I took it out, rubbed it, rinsed it, and tried again. No good. Tried one more time. Still no good. Ok, left contact. Nope, that one sucked too. I put them both in, and tried to wear them for a few minutes. I don't think I made it past 60 seconds or so. Both my eyes were burning like nothing I'd ever felt before. I ended up throwing them away, and spending something like 200 dollars for new contacts. Talk about some expensive pizza topping.



Carry on

No comments: