Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Nature of the Beast

I am a wood floor installer by trade. I live, breathe, and eat hardwood. Sometimes literally, though not exactly by choice. I enjoy doing my job, but I certainly don't enjoy the inconstant paychecks lately. Work has been hit and miss here for a year and a half, or two. Come to think of it, longer than that. I can go for several weeks working at least 5 days a week, then suddenly sit on my backside for two weeks not earning a paycheck. I used to be able to make a good living doing this, now I'm not even scraping by. Everyone who sees my work comments on the high quality of it, so the issue is not with that. People just aren't spending money. I used to be able to install 400 square feet in a day, and go do it again the next without much of a thought. Now, 400 feet in a day is an amazing feat. The workload has been so light in the recent past that I've gotten used to having more time to install a floor. However, starting this past Monday, I have 1256 square feet to install, and a deadline of Wednesday. Today is Wednesday, and it's done. I'm whooped. Tomorrow I have a repair to do, and start another 450 feet. I'll finish that one Friday. It's feast time, soon to come is famine.


Carry on

No comments: