Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Der Skunkenator

This past weekend, I went to the cabin in Mio to prepare for firearm deer season, and work on the p.o.s. tractor that decided to crap out... more on that later. One of my sisters went with me, and took her crumb muncher. Steve also went, joined by Angie and their crumb muncher, Justice. Angie and Stephanie were in the cabin chatting, Briahnna and Justice were playing hide and seek outside, and Steve was performing some sort of work out behind the outhouse. Justice had just joined him. Steve had run a screw partway into a table attached to the building, and the commotion apparently made a skunk decide it needed to vacate. I was standing beside the fire ring and happened to look up to see the worlds largest skunk waddling toward the cabin. At that moment, Steve ran around from behind the outhouse, and commenced to try to end the skunk. At that point, I found myself halfway across the yard after the skunk with a stick, Briahnna right behind me. Don't ask me what I intended to do with the stick, cuz I really couldn't say. After the first shot, though, I dropped the stick and drew my .38 to "help". The last thing I want is to sit down for a "rest" and have my backside and family jewels skunked. We were both holding .38 snubbies, and let me tell you, a moving target at 30-40 feet is damned difficult to hit with one of those. Steve threw 5 at it, and I threw 5. I know where I was shooting, and located 3 holes in the ground. I don't think we actually hit the poor animal, but I seriously doubt it will return. It never did run very fast, tho...

No comments: