Saturday, October 25, 2008

Career Change

It's about time to change my career path. My paychecks have been hit and miss for a long time now. I'm currently pursuing two different possibilities. I went to Lansing a few days ago to take my Entry Level Law Enforcement civil service test. The test results should arrive around 5-7 weeks from now. If I pass, I'll go back for the next step. Hopefully it will all culminate in my hiring in as a Michigan Conservation Officer. I ran across a link on the Michigan DNR website, did some reading and research on it, and it sounds like the career choice I've been missing all along. The things they teach are all things I would go and buy classes to learn. Firearms training, self defense, defensive and offensive driving, water rescues, atv and snowmobile handling and safety, wilderness survival, and more. They stress that the job MAY entail being outside in inclement weather, but I am happy outside, no matter the weather. Stick me in the middle of the woods somewhere to make sure that people are safe and following the rules, and I'll be a happy guy. I'm also trying to get into a school that teaches how to operate heavy equipment. Dozers, earthmovers, compactors, cranes, draglines, backhoes, graders, all kinds of fun stuff. Both jobs offer paid training, and good pay with benefits. I am so ready to move forward, and start my life over. I'm tired of not being able to get credit, not having the money I need for things like, oh, food, gas, electricity, blah blah blah. I have no insurance for my daughter, or myself. I'm renting a house. I have nothing, really. I have a ton of crap, but nothing really worth a damn. I can't retire on a hobart welder and an ancient simplicity tractor. I'm 34, and have jack shit. It didn't use to be that way. I made a good living installing wood floors. I can't any longer. The work just isn't there. People aren't spending like they used to. I wish these processes would move along a little faster, but they say good things come to those who wait, right? We'll see.


Carry on

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm volunteering to be your sugar mama,,,we can trade...