Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hookey

I'm sitting at home now, when I should be helping to install a cork floor. This morning I woke up with a sore throat, stuffy nose, and stuffed up chest. Every time the alarm went off, I rolled over and hit the snooze. That means I got out of bed late. I finally got up and into the shower, and ran out the door, where I nearly slipped and fell on my ass. Last night's rain and snow made for slippery conditions. I salted the front stairs, and made my way to the garage. The lock on the garage door was frozen closed. When I finally managed to get the lock open, I realized that the door itself was frozen to the concrete. A couple swift angry kicks loosened it, and I slid the door open. I went in to start the car, then went to my tool trailer to get my tool box. The lock on the trailer was also frozen. I went back to the car, turned it off, closed the garage door, and took the garage lock in the house to dry. I then called Bob and told him the morning's happenings, and said I was going back to bed. I think he thought I was kidding. After a couple minutes of conversation, he realized I was really calling in sick and pissed off, we hung up, and I went to bed. I know he immediately began to call me some pretty non-flattering names, but I think it's better to give him the respect of letting him know I wouldn't be in, even though he won't return that respect anytime soon. I have not called in sick once in the last 8 years. I think I'm due.

No comments: