Sunday, December 14, 2008

Customer Service

I just went to Auto Zone to get an easy-out, and a tach so that I can set the carb properly when I finish rebuilding it and install it on the tractor. All I could find in the store were the ones for permanent install. I assumed they had one for tuning behind the counter. I managed to find an easy-out, but could not find a brass punch. I need one to install the new seat. When I got in line to ask the help behind the counter, I stood there, first in line, for ten minutes or so. As time passed, more and more people walked in and stacked up behind me. The one employee actually doing something with the customers was having a problem with the computer system. The other employee was answering the phone calls. After the call answerer ended one call, he looked past me at a customer in the middle of an aisle, and asked him what he needed help finding. The customer walked up to the counter, and explained that he needed something to hold a bumper on his wife's car that had been smashed in an accident. He wanted some sort of sealer to "glue" it in place. The employee suggested a bungee cord. The phone rang, and he answered again. I watched in amazement as the poor customer service continued to deescalate. The customer was now standing awkwardly in front of the counter, and in front of several people who were actually in line, obviously knowing that he was never actually in line. I put my things away, and walked out the door. This is not the first time this particular Auto Zone has shown very poor customer service, but each time I enter, different people are working the counter. Someone is teaching very bad habits. Where has customer service and respect gone, and why???

No comments: